With most of the country on lock down, “sheltering in place” therapists and clients have been thrown into the world of virtual therapy. This change happened precipitously, not allowing time to prepare for this dramatic transition in the basic therapeutic frame. Because of the need for support, advice and suggestions about how you might work clinically using Attachment-focused EMDR, for the next several weeks I am making time for open consultation sessions. If there is a need for more sessions, I will add them.
Topics for consultation include:
- The nuts and bolts of getting set up virtually including HIPPA compliant software and which types of bilateral stimulation to use.
- Suggestions on how to create a safe therapeutic container for the therapy while working virtually
- AF-EMDR considerations: such as how to maintain the therapeutic relationship, attune to clients and manage distractions for therapist and client
- How to keep what we do client-centered during these times, and perhaps let go of the focus of our work from the past and refocus on what is most relevant in the present
- Suggestions for AF-EMDR sessions. When to focus on the present, when to bridge to the past, when to tap in resources
- Using virtual EMDR with regular clients versus new clients
- Suggestions for therapist self-care