Friday, the focus of discussion will be on the effects of the pandemic on our clients, our practices and how we use Attachment-focused EMDR virtually.
Friday pandemic topic questions for discussion:
- How is the pandemic affecting your clients?
- What issues or problems are they bringing in?
- Anxiety around COVID-19? Anxiety around finances?
- Depression? Social Isolation?
- Overwhelmed parents?
- Fear of the unknown?
- Relationship issues. Lock down fighting with partners, children, roommates?
- How do we best help our clients during this time?
- Do we do “deep” uncovering childhood trauma work, or do we focus mostly on resourcing? How do we make these decisions?
- When is it avoidance, and when it is a safety issue when clients don’t want to do EMDR virtually?
- Issues of working with new clients virtually and regular clients with whom we already have a relationship
- How do we as EMDR therapists maintain our stability when we are affected by the same situation as our clients, i.e. lockdown, social chaos, pandemic anxiety?
- How are we adjusting to working virtually, if we are working virtually?
- How are we doing financially?
- How are we managing our anxiety, social isolation, fears?
- How are we dealing with the fatigue from working virtually?
- Therapist self-care during these times
Saturday, the focus will be on the Black Lives Matter movement, systemic racism, how that impacts our clients, our work, ourselves, and how we might be able to help our clients using Attachment-focused EMDR.
Topics to discuss include:
- How is this issue affecting our clients? What are they bringing into sessions?
- How are the protests affecting our clients?
- How do we as Attachment-focused EMDR therapists bring sensitivity and awareness to these issues?
- How do we work together to create change?
- In using EMDR, what are you targeting?
- What are things we can do using Attachment-focused EMDR to work on trauma from racism?
- How do we address and work with intergenerational racism?
- Targeting internalized racism. Targeting NCs such as “I’m not good enough,
- “I don’t deserve to be treated with respect.”
- Do clients need to be seen by someone of their same race or background? What are the pros and cons?
- How can a therapist who is not of the same race as the client work most effectively with the client? What are the issues?
- Our mental health system is broken in the United States. People without financial means are not receiving the help they need. What can we do to change this?
- People of color are underrepresented in our profession and as EMDR therapists. What can be done to change this?